cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
zacatlan
Level II

journal defaults

How can I change the default settings of journals so that the boxes of an outline (outline boxes and other text, list, data filter, etc...boxes) default to horizontal positioning? Right now, when I build an outline the boxes position vertically and build sequentially from left to right, instead of positioning 'flat' and building 'top-down' like layers of a cake. To change this, I'm having to go into 'properties' within the journal and manually change each individual box once created, which is cumbersome. I didn't see anything in JMP 'preferences' but might be missing it. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: journal defaults

I think those settings are inherited from the platforms you use. You can use script like this to change all outline boxes to be horizontally closing (some platforms might use special outline boxes so those orientation won't be changed...).

(Current Journal() << XPath("//OutlineBox")) << Outline Close Orientation("Horizontal")

You could also use similar idea on your reports before you move them to journal using Current Report() instead.

There seems to some preference for this, but no idea for what really

jthi_0-1715611420777.png

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
zacatlan
Level II

Also, I can right click on some boxes (e.g., data filter box) and change it, but not all.

jthi
Super User

How are you adding items to your journal? Could you provide some examples of the incorrect layout?

-Jarmo
zacatlan
Level II

Here is a small example. The "local data filter" box below the map. I've changed the rest here to match what I'm looking for, but that one box resembles the way all the boxes align when I add an outline item. 

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 9.20.55 AM.png

zacatlan
Level II

I add items: 1) using the cmd+j shortcut, 2) the "save to journal" dropdown from red arrow, and 3) just click-and-dragging to the journal. Same results.

zacatlan
Level II

When right-clicking, it is called "outline close orientation"

jthi
Super User

I think those settings are inherited from the platforms you use. You can use script like this to change all outline boxes to be horizontally closing (some platforms might use special outline boxes so those orientation won't be changed...).

(Current Journal() << XPath("//OutlineBox")) << Outline Close Orientation("Horizontal")

You could also use similar idea on your reports before you move them to journal using Current Report() instead.

There seems to some preference for this, but no idea for what really

jthi_0-1715611420777.png

-Jarmo
zacatlan
Level II

Great. Thank you.

Thank you so much.

View more...
To change journal box positioning defaults in JMP, check File > Preferences for outline settings. Alternatively, create and save a template with horizontal positioning for future use. Need assistance with your academic papers? https://domypaper.com/ is the place to go. I have used their service multiple times, and they always deliver high-quality work on time. The writers are knowledgeable, and the pricing is fair. Highly recommend their services.