cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
rnaqvi28
Level I

is it possibile to calculate +/- 3sd.

I have a data set that i wanted to calculate mean, sd, and calculate +/- 3SD to set a range for the data set. how can i do that in jmp

3 REPLIES 3
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: is it possibile to calculate +/- 3sd.

The distribution platform is your friend.

andersonmj2
Level IV

Completely agree with @P_Bartell - I have always used the Analyze->Distribution platform to get a quick look at the distribution of my data, but it is easy to underestimate what you can do from that platform!  Under the red triangle for each variable you'll see a large number of tests and options including capability analysis and means comparisons.  Under the red triangle for 'Summary Statistics' you can customize - and you'll be amazed at how much useful stuff is there.  Definitely check it ou!

P_Bartell
Level VIII

@andersonmj2 I've been a JMP user since version 1. As you say, 'I have always used...', and I too find myself in the same boat. Over the years, I think JMP has done wonders adding new exploratory data analysis/visualization platforms that are super slick and cool...Graph Builder, expanding multivariate platforms, etc. But for my money, I'd be hard pressed to find a practical problem I was working on where I didn't start my analysis exploration with the good old Distribution platform. Seems before doing just about anything else I need to explore four issues:

1. Where's the middle?

2. How spread out is it?

3. What's the shape look like?

4. Is there anything unusual or suspicious that might make 'next steps' analysis problematic?

Whether it's continuous or categorical data...the Distribution platform is a good place to start.