cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Danying
Level II

how to paste empty cell as empty cell

Hi, I want to copy a column with some empty cells and numbers to another new column. But when I pasted it, the empty cells are turn into 0. I cannot delete it one by one because there are many of them. How can I keep the pasted empty cell as it was? Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: how to paste empty cell as empty cell

It should not do that. We'll probably need more information (unless someone has seen this before!)

JMP version?

Win or Mac?

What sequence of clicking/copying/pasting are you using? Mouse? Keyboard?

I'd normally do this by selecting entire columns using the headers, then right-click in the selected data (not the header) ->Copy.

Then repeat for the destination (with same number of rows)...select headers, right-click ->Paste.

Craige
jthi
Super User

Also are there any column properties? Column properties such as Value Labels could possibly cause something like this to happen (have 0 be recoded to . in the column being copied).

-Jarmo
Danying
Level II

Thank you for your reply, jthi.

The data type is "Numeric" and the modeling type is "Continuous". The problem is tentatively solved as I tried again on the other day and I can copy and paste the column exactly what they are. I must miss something that day.

Anyway I still appreciate your reply, hope you have a good day:)

Danying
Level II

Thank you Craige.

It is JMP version 15.1.0 on Win 10.

I used mouse.

I created a new column with the "Numeric" data type and "Continuous" modeling type. Then I copied the column (with the same column properties) by selecting the whole column and clicking the "Edit"-"Copy with column names". Next I left clicked the new column head to select the column and pasted by choosing "Edit"-"Paste with column names". 

I think the problem is tentatively solved because I tried to do it again on the other day and now I can copy and paste the column exactly what they are. I must miss something that day. The original data was copy-paste from the results of the formulated cells in the excel. I don't know whether the formular in the excel would have an influence on this.

Thanks again for your reply!