cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dghidoni
Level II

how to create a graph with stratified x axis (like variability) but stacked colums?

HI

I would like to create a graph with this characteristics: multiple x axis value (let's say day-week-month-year) but displaying stacked bars. Is it possibile?

I wandered through index and manuals, but I found possibile this kind of axis for variability only, which accept Y data only as point and no multiple series of data.

on the other hand the chart is the only graph I found that displays stacked bars, but no way of maipulating the x axis ... there is a way to combine both?

maybe it is simple and I didn't look at the obvious, in this case please address me!

thanks

PS: I use variability not because it is a variability analysis, but because it does the graph i need. I think a proper graph is an essential analysis and a powerful communication tool

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XanGregg
Staff

Re: how to create a graph with stratified x axis (like variability) but stacked colums?

You can do it Graph Builder in JMP 10. Drag multiple categorical variables into the X axis to nest them.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
XanGregg
Staff

Re: how to create a graph with stratified x axis (like variability) but stacked colums?

You can do it Graph Builder in JMP 10. Drag multiple categorical variables into the X axis to nest them.

dghidoni
Level II

thank you Xan.

I have seen that graph builder is much better in JMP 10 and I'm glad to see that it could help with my issue, but unfortunately I am on JMP9 and will be for a couple of months at least. Do you know if there a workaround for that in JMP9, better if it's scriptable?

XanGregg
Staff

Only JMP 9 alternative I can think of is to create a new column for the X axis that represents the combined values and use Value Order property to control the order. That is, the combined column would have values like:

A1   B1

A1   B2

A2   B1

A2   B5

A3   B2

A3   B3

A3   B4

dghidoni
Level II

ok, thanks.

I already do value ordering for the primary X axis value (let's call it "day").

So the JMP9 workaround should be to create another column like "month"||"week"||"day" and to use that as axis?

I tried but it is a bit too graphically heavy, I think I'll wait for JMP10, thanks for your help.

thanks

damiano

dghidoni
Level II

ok, after other activities I turned back briefly on this issue (more for curiosity than for real necessity) aaand ... again no good.

the graph builder correctly accept my data and nest them if I use few lines (50? 100?), but if I toss in several hundred lines, it collapses the X axis leaving only the lowest categorical variable and in the label says "week & 2 more".

I don't want a median on week! I can do it with the standard chart graph!

I want to see on the X axis all the three variables, like on a variability ... is there a switch somewhere or a parameter in jsl to not collapse them?

thanks

damiano