cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dghidoni
Level II

how to create a graph with stratified x axis (like variability) but stacked colums?

HI

I would like to create a graph with this characteristics: multiple x axis value (let's say day-week-month-year) but displaying stacked bars. Is it possibile?

I wandered through index and manuals, but I found possibile this kind of axis for variability only, which accept Y data only as point and no multiple series of data.

on the other hand the chart is the only graph I found that displays stacked bars, but no way of maipulating the x axis ... there is a way to combine both?

maybe it is simple and I didn't look at the obvious, in this case please address me!

thanks

PS: I use variability not because it is a variability analysis, but because it does the graph i need. I think a proper graph is an essential analysis and a powerful communication tool

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XanGregg
Staff

Re: how to create a graph with stratified x axis (like variability) but stacked colums?

You can do it Graph Builder in JMP 10. Drag multiple categorical variables into the X axis to nest them.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
XanGregg
Staff

Re: how to create a graph with stratified x axis (like variability) but stacked colums?

You can do it Graph Builder in JMP 10. Drag multiple categorical variables into the X axis to nest them.

dghidoni
Level II

thank you Xan.

I have seen that graph builder is much better in JMP 10 and I'm glad to see that it could help with my issue, but unfortunately I am on JMP9 and will be for a couple of months at least. Do you know if there a workaround for that in JMP9, better if it's scriptable?

XanGregg
Staff

Only JMP 9 alternative I can think of is to create a new column for the X axis that represents the combined values and use Value Order property to control the order. That is, the combined column would have values like:

A1   B1

A1   B2

A2   B1

A2   B5

A3   B2

A3   B3

A3   B4

dghidoni
Level II

ok, thanks.

I already do value ordering for the primary X axis value (let's call it "day").

So the JMP9 workaround should be to create another column like "month"||"week"||"day" and to use that as axis?

I tried but it is a bit too graphically heavy, I think I'll wait for JMP10, thanks for your help.

thanks

damiano

dghidoni
Level II

ok, after other activities I turned back briefly on this issue (more for curiosity than for real necessity) aaand ... again no good.

the graph builder correctly accept my data and nest them if I use few lines (50? 100?), but if I toss in several hundred lines, it collapses the X axis leaving only the lowest categorical variable and in the label says "week & 2 more".

I don't want a median on week! I can do it with the standard chart graph!

I want to see on the X axis all the three variables, like on a variability ... is there a switch somewhere or a parameter in jsl to not collapse them?

thanks

damiano