cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
rabelardo
Level IV

how to achieve this type of graph with symmetrical distribution of points?

i was playing with the Graph Builder and i can't achieve the desired result (right graph on fig. 1) - i think it's a dot plot for distribution.

the one given by Graph Builder is the one on the left - with jittered points.

i unchecked the jitter checkbox but all the data points were all lined-up at the center (fig. 2).

is there a way to achieve the right graph on fig. 1 in JMP?

appreciate the help.

- Randy, JMP newbie.

fig. 1

11293_symmetric distribution.png

fig. 2

11297_graph builder dotplot.png

- Randy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: how to achieve this type of graph with symmetrical distribution of points?

There are many jittering options in Graph Builder now which should allow you to get the dot plots that you desire.

2020-04-19_10-43-14.413.png

-Jeff

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

The jittering in Graph Builder appears to be based upon all of the data for jittering in the X dimension, and is based upon the precision of the data in the Y dimension.  Here is an example where the Y dimension data are all integers, and you can see they line up when the same value is present.  However, the X dimension jittering is not symmetrical.  So it is my conclusion that you can not get the graph you are asking for in Graph Builder, in JMP 12.

11300_pastedImage_0.png

The Fit Y by X Platform has the same jittering output, but there is a display option called Points Spread that you may be interested in

11301_pastedImage_0.png

Jim
rabelardo
Level IV

Thanks for the explanation, Jim.

Is there a way to achieve the desired graph within JMP - excluding Graph Builder?

Like maybe initially create the Graph in Graph Builder then later on, a code snippet could be added for the data points to be centered and symmetrical?

Here's hoping that additional options will be included in the next update or release

Much appreciated.

- Randy

11305_wishlist.png

- Randy
txnelson
Super User

I am not aware of any other platform within JMP that will do this.  You could of course, build your own graph using JSL and a graph object.

Concerning the desire to have this functionality in a future release, the Discussion Forum isn't the best place to request that.  You need to send such ideas directly to the support folks at JMP.

support@jmp.com

That way you know the request has gotten to the right folks.

Jim
rabelardo
Level IV

Thanks again for the informative reply, Jim.

Unfortunately for me, I don't know how to code (JSL or any other language).

Good news is, I found something that will do exactly what I desire - a Wilkinson DotPlot JMP add-in created by Shang Ding which was shared in the SAS blog on Aug. 21, 2013 - Thank you so much, Shang Ding !  (link to animated gif).  There's no need to install the add-in anymore since it's already incorporated in the JMP 12 release. It can be found in the Sample Scripts Directory and also under Teaching Resources > Teaching Scripts > Teaching Demonstrations.

------------------------------------------------------

To Jeff Perkinson jeff.perkinson:

You mentioned in this thread that I'll make a note in our request system. May I ask that you also note my request to the JMP Development Team if they can incorporate the DotPlot.jsl to the Distribution and Graph Builder platforms? This would be an awesome functionality.

I know that there's no guarantee that this will be considered or implemented.

- Randy, JMP newbie

Screenshot of Shang Ding's JMP DotPlot.jsl add-in:

11311_dotplot_snapshot.png

- Randy
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

There are many jittering options in Graph Builder now which should allow you to get the dot plots that you desire.

2020-04-19_10-43-14.413.png

-Jeff
rabelardo
Level IV

Thanks again for the JMP Support redirect, Jim.

They already responded.

11327_JMP Support.png

- Randy