cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jkeighley
Level I

gradient colors where missing and zero are separate groups

I am new to graphing cancer rate data in JMP.

The rates on the map are values that I have created. The rates are not actual cancer rates for Iowa.

I have generated cancer rate data to map at the county level in JMP. I am dropping the generated rate variable into the color box to get a color gradient for the rates.

I have two rate levels that should be treated differently.

The levels are zero and missing.

The rate for the county is missing if there weren't any cases within the county. This is plotted on the map using a black fill and I am happy with this automatic action of JMP.

The rate for the county is 0 if they are suppressed due to patient confidentially concerns. So zero like missing should have a color of it's own.

I would also appreciate any suggestions on adding additional information to the map. For example:

Risk factors like obesity percentages at the county level, smoking percentages at the county level, etc.

Additional information like the confidence interval width for each of the rates at the county level. etc

Cancer map.png

1 REPLY 1

Re: gradient colors where missing and zero are separate groups

I'm not sure if this is what you want. I tried using Value Colors property and Color or Mark by Column feature. These are what I did.

• Cols > Column Info > Column Properties > Value Colors.
  • Macros > Gradient between end
  • Set color for zero value

value color.png

• Rows > Color or Mark by Column

color by col.png

• Graph > Graph Builder
  • Drop country into map shape zone

If you want to color the missing value, drag the Rate Estimate column to the Overlay zone and select Show Missing Shapes. Right-click the chart and select Customize. Go to Shape, select Missing shape fill and choose a color.

missing.png

graph builder.png

If you want to add a label to a map, please see the following page.

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/how-to-add-state-name-label-to-the-graphic-building-when-us...