extracting month

Hello,

I have a column containing a timestamp in the following format:

Jan-01

Feb-01

How can I use formula to parse the month so that it would return:

Jan

Feb

I tried month(:Name("My-Column")) but it is giving me a red squiggly line. 

Thank you so much for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: extracting month

Your column is a character column, not a JMP numeric date column.  To create a column that has just the month part of the character string, use the formula

substr( :"Month-Year"n, 1, 3 );

The structure I used gives the same results as :Name("Month-Year), but the structure I used is the supported structure moving forward

P.S.  In the future when you provide an image of a data table, please provide the left hand panels of the data table.  They provide more detail about the columns.

table.PNG

Jim

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Is the column you reference as "My-Column" a JMP numeric Date/time column? Attaching a sample of the data would really help. Or even an image of the table
Jim
aprilmayjune
Level II

Here is a screenshot of the data table. Thank you for looking into this! @txnelson 

example.png

txnelson
Super User

Your column is a character column, not a JMP numeric date column.  To create a column that has just the month part of the character string, use the formula

substr( :"Month-Year"n, 1, 3 );

The structure I used gives the same results as :Name("Month-Year), but the structure I used is the supported structure moving forward

P.S.  In the future when you provide an image of a data table, please provide the left hand panels of the data table.  They provide more detail about the columns.

table.PNG

Jim