cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jvillaumie
Level III

evaluating a string using a column formula?

I have a column with strings, e.g.  20.5 + 1.18*1.61 - 0.0816*(1.61-1.85)^2 , and I would like to evaluate its value in a different column. I tried using eval() with the name of the column with the strings as argument, but it did not work: I simply get the string again, not the value of that string.

I am sure the strings can be evaluated, because I tried eval(20.5 + 1.18*1.61 - 0.0816*(1.61-1.85)^2 ) and it gave me a number as expected.

Is it possible to use a function to evaluate a column, and if so how? I am not looking for a JSL solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: evaluating a string using a column formula?

Eval() works on your expression in a script editor because it's not a string there. In the column, it's a string. First you need to parse the string (which converts a string into a JSL expression), and then eval it. Try this for your column formula (Column 1 is the one with your strings):

Eval( Parse( :Column 1 ) )

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Eval() works on your expression in a script editor because it's not a string there. In the column, it's a string. First you need to parse the string (which converts a string into a JSL expression), and then eval it. Try this for your column formula (Column 1 is the one with your strings):

Eval( Parse( :Column 1 ) )
jvillaumie
Level III

That worked; thanks for the quick reply

derekc
Level I

First time I've used this after almost 20 years of using JMP! If only I'd been aware of this before!