cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
pshieh
Level II

Exporting Graphs to Adobe Illustrator

Hi there - does anyone else export their JMP graphs to Adobe Illustrator? It seems like there are always minor formatting issues whenever I try to copy the graphs directly (either misaligned text or strange colors in some of the text boxes) and I am not able to open SVG files generated from JMP. Am I doing something wrong here? Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Exporting Graphs to Adobe Illustrator

I searched for "best image format for illustrator" image.png

and

image.png

Several links do not recommend SVG formatted graphics.

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

I frequently clean up and improve JMP graphs in AI. My preferred method is to create a journal containing 1 graph, save it as PDF, and open the PDF in AI. You will most likely encounter issues with font matching (i.e. the fonts used in JMP will not match those available in AI) but the font replacement tool in AI is relatively easy to use.

Of note, the EPS format does not work well for me: too many small vector objects and poor text export.

I hope that helps

TS
Thierry R. Sornasse
pshieh
Level II

Thank you for the suggestion. I just tried saving the graph as a PDF and then opening in AI. It definitely looks much better but I still see an issue where all text boxes have pink backgrounds. Do you have any tricks to avoidi this issue?

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. 

The pink boxes signify that AI does not have the specific fonts for the highlighted text. I usually take the time to replace the offending fonts using the Font Replace tool in AI.

One other possibility would be to set the default font in JMP to something that AI recognizes but I have never tried this workaround.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
pshieh
Level II

Thank you - this seems to address the issue with the pink boxes. Have you also seen the issue where the label for the Y-axis (which is aligned vertically) does not port as text but as a series of shapes? I typically will have to delete the entire axis label and remake it but I am not sure if there is a better solution.

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi, I'm not sure but I think that AI uses the closest available font to display missing font which may produce odd results when the closest available font is Wingding or another icon-based font.
Thierry R. Sornasse