cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jvillaumie
Level III

evaluating a string using a column formula?

I have a column with strings, e.g.  20.5 + 1.18*1.61 - 0.0816*(1.61-1.85)^2 , and I would like to evaluate its value in a different column. I tried using eval() with the name of the column with the strings as argument, but it did not work: I simply get the string again, not the value of that string.

I am sure the strings can be evaluated, because I tried eval(20.5 + 1.18*1.61 - 0.0816*(1.61-1.85)^2 ) and it gave me a number as expected.

Is it possible to use a function to evaluate a column, and if so how? I am not looking for a JSL solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: evaluating a string using a column formula?

Eval() works on your expression in a script editor because it's not a string there. In the column, it's a string. First you need to parse the string (which converts a string into a JSL expression), and then eval it. Try this for your column formula (Column 1 is the one with your strings):

Eval( Parse( :Column 1 ) )

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Eval() works on your expression in a script editor because it's not a string there. In the column, it's a string. First you need to parse the string (which converts a string into a JSL expression), and then eval it. Try this for your column formula (Column 1 is the one with your strings):

Eval( Parse( :Column 1 ) )
jvillaumie
Level III

That worked; thanks for the quick reply

derekc
Level I

First time I've used this after almost 20 years of using JMP! If only I'd been aware of this before!