cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Batista
Level II

comparing entire cohort and a subset

how to compare the entire group (overall) with a subset of this group?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: comparing entire cohort and a subset

Since you didn't provide any specifics about the criteria for comparison, I'll start with my three rules for analysis of data:

1. plot the data.

2. Plot The Data.

3. PLOT THE DATA.

But which plots is highly dependent on the type of data you have (continuous, count, text, ordinal, etc.)? Is time ordering of the observations relevant? Do you have missing, nonsense, or other suspicious observations in the data? And other questions...so if you can provide some more details regarding the data and the specific criteria for comparison, then perhaps we can offer guidance?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Since you didn't provide any specifics about the criteria for comparison, I'll start with my three rules for analysis of data:

1. plot the data.

2. Plot The Data.

3. PLOT THE DATA.

But which plots is highly dependent on the type of data you have (continuous, count, text, ordinal, etc.)? Is time ordering of the observations relevant? Do you have missing, nonsense, or other suspicious observations in the data? And other questions...so if you can provide some more details regarding the data and the specific criteria for comparison, then perhaps we can offer guidance?

I agree with @P_Bartell to start with data plots.

The Analysis of Means procedures compare individual group means to the overall mean.