cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ohaynes
Level I

change size axis increments based on time

I am plotting data over time using an uneven spread of intervals (1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 6 months, etc). I would like to make it so the increments on the x axis are sized proportionally to the amount of time; 0-1 weeks, 1-2 weeks being the smallest and 6-9 months, 9-12 months being the largest.

intervals.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: change size axis increments based on time

Hi,

That's odd.

Here are a couple of screen captures to show you the steps:

How the recode dialog should look like before any changes:

Thierry_S_0-1629147449801.png

Recode dialog with new values updated

Thierry_S_1-1629147507816.png

Finally, in the Column Info window, how the Data type and Modeling type should look like:

Thierry_S_2-1629147562213.png

Let me know if that does not work either.

Best

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi, One the simplest method is to create a new X column with the duration as continuous values on a scale of weeks or months whichever is more appropriate to your application.

I would recommend using the Recode function based on your original X values, then change the data type to Numerical and modelling as Continuous.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
ohaynes
Level I

Hi Thierry,

As a new JMP user I don't have the full knowledge about the recode feature. I have attempted recoding the column to something such where 1 week=0.25 months, 2=0.5 months and then months as whole numbers. Then once i change the modeling type to continuous and try graphing, the 2 fractional x values appear after 12 months so it reads 1-12, 0.25, 0.5. Maybe this isn't what you suggested, but could you give me a little more direction on the recode?

Thanks

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

That's odd.

Here are a couple of screen captures to show you the steps:

How the recode dialog should look like before any changes:

Thierry_S_0-1629147449801.png

Recode dialog with new values updated

Thierry_S_1-1629147507816.png

Finally, in the Column Info window, how the Data type and Modeling type should look like:

Thierry_S_2-1629147562213.png

Let me know if that does not work either.

Best

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
ohaynes
Level I

Thank you that did fix the issue with the axis order. Was there a way to distort the axis values themselves so that the time is misinterpreted? Such as the gap between 5 and 6 is the same as 6 and 9 although the time between the two is significantly different. I have included grid lines here, but I mean to pinch the 0 and 0.25 values closer together along the x axis and stretch the 9 and 12 to more accurately show the time spread. Maybe this isnt possible in JMP?

intervals2.PNG

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

I'm not sure what you are doing but it seems that the Modeling Type of your X column (i.e., Continuous Time) is still incorrect: from the image you shared it still looks like it is Ordinal or Categorical, it should be Continuous.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
ohaynes
Level I

I have solved the issue after going back through it again. Thank you for your help!