cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
wma1125
Level II

can JMP open google sheet?

any way JMP can open or import google sheet?

7 REPLIES 7
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: can JMP open google sheet?

yes.  Be careful how much you share, you almost certainly want to restrict who can view your documents.  It looks like you can do that in the dialogs below, but I did not experiment. 

steps to make a google sheet: pick new:

10127_1.PNG

pick sheet:

10128_2.PNG

give it a name...

10129_3.PNG

pick share:

10130_4.PNG

ask for a shareable link.  I did not choose anybody for editors.  It is shared with the world if you have the link.  I think this is where you can restrict viewers as well.

10131_5.PNG

copy the link.  As you can see, this doc is open to the world...

10132_6.PNG

modify the link.  Google Groups ( productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/docs/An-nZtjaupU ) suggested a change like this:

....7E/edit?usp=sharing

becomes

....7E/export?format=csv&id

at the end of the link.

finally, use the JMP open function (JSL) to view it.  (Or use File->InternetOpen->OpenAs->Data with the same URL)

open("https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A...........7E/export?format=csv&id")

10133_7.PNG

There's a bunch of unanswered questions here, join the discussion!

Craige

I tried same steps as above. but could not access it through jsl.

the only dfference i could see is, that here" anyone can view"

where in my case i have " anyone at company an view"

and it gives a error "Unable to read data from"

msharp
Super User (Alumni)

Google won't know JMP is part of the user group unless you pass the credentials.  You may be logged in but JMP isn't.  I'm betting you are going to need to use a socket function here.  I will have to play around sometime when I have time.

Craige_Hales
Super User

It may need SSL; JMP's sockets don't do SSL.  You might need to use cURL and RunProgram to do the authentication.  Here's a link that might be useful:

developers.google.com/drive/web/manage-downloads   Download Files  |  Drive REST API  |  Google Developers

Craige
wma1125
Level II

thanks for the tricks, Graige.. I tried it with my companies share link. it can't open it with message in log window: "Caution: redirected to ........."

jojo
Level I

I also recently started using Google Sheets and trying to find the best way to import some data files into JMP with JSL.  If anyone has figured out what needs to happen I would really appreciate it.  Seem to be running into the same errors as the others above...

FN
FN
Level VI

I know it is an old discussion, but JMP 15 includes this option now.

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/15.1/#page/jmp/import-data-from-google-sheets.shtml