cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Tzu-Chun
Level III

Connect Column Names with String Col Box

Hi JSL Experts,

I would like to connect column names with a String Col Box with the example below. The Col List Box will update the column status (add/delete/rename) automatically which is the functionality I need for the String Col Box. So, I create a Col List Box and then connect it to the String Col Box.

It seems works, but I would like to hide the Col List Box or run it at the background. However, when I set  Box1<<visibility(Hidden), then it lost the connect from the data table. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
New window("Connect dt with String Col box",
	Box1=Col list box(dt, all,
		on change(
			Cols=Box1<<get items;
			Box2<<set values(Cols);
		)
	),
	Table box(
		Box2=String col box("Columns",Cols=Box1<<get items)
	)
);

Best,

Tzu-Chun Wu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Connect Column Names with String Col Box

You can subscribe to a table to detect changes - this avoids using Col List Box but is a complex route.

Perhaps you could just place the display box inside a closed outline box ?

OutlineBox("-", <<close(1),
    ColListBox( ... )
)
-Dave

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Not really sure what you are trying to do here.  Do you really want a Col List Box or are you just using it to get a list of columns.  If the later, then you can just write:

col = dt << getColumnNames(string)

where dt is a reference to a data table, for example:

dt = currentDataTable();
-Dave
Tzu-Chun
Level III

Hi Dave,

I would like to create a string col box which reflect the column change of a data table. For example, if I have columns {"Column 1", "Column 2"} and add a new column "Column 3" later, it will be great if the string column box can be updated automatically without any other actions.

dt=new table("Table",
	New column("Column 1"),
	New column("Column 2")
);

New window("",
	Table box(
		String Col box("Columns", dt<<get column names("String")),
		Col List box(dt, all)
	)
);
wait(1);

dt<<new column("Column 3");

The "get column names" is a good idea, but the string col box will not be updated automatically. Here is the comparison between String Col box and Col list box.

before adding column 3

Tzu-Chun_0-1591638874821.png

After Adding Column 3

Tzu-Chun_1-1591638924503.png

Help the details helps.

Tzu-Chun

David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

You can subscribe to a table to detect changes - this avoids using Col List Box but is a complex route.

Perhaps you could just place the display box inside a closed outline box ?

OutlineBox("-", <<close(1),
    ColListBox( ... )
)
-Dave
Tzu-Chun
Level III

Hi Dave,

The Outline Box approach does not work, but the Subscribe function is exactly what I need. Thanks again for your suggestion and help. If someone is interested in the Subscribe function, please check the link https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14/subscribe-to-a-data-table.shtml 

Tzu-Chun