cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
GroupSquareWolf
Level III

calculate area under the curve by integration then populate the result in a new column.

In this example datatable, response is defined by fomula:  response = time*time

I would like to calculate "area under the curve" (AUC) by integration using the fomula defined in the response column and the time range defined in the :time column, then populate the result in a new column in the datatable (by "populate" I mean all rows have the value of the calculated AUC).

I know I can use the following script to calculate the AUC, and the result of area is 41333.

resp = Expr (time * time);

area = Integrate (resp, time, 10, 50);

show (area);

However, when I tried to populate the AUC result (all rows have the value of 41333) in the :Integrate column by using formula: 

Integrate( :response, :time, Col Maximum( :time ), Col Minimum( :time ) )

instead of populating the result 41333 , the formula calculated the result based on the defined value of : time in each row. 

What is the correct way to write the formula so that the :Integrate column is populated with the result 41333?

I know I could use JSL to create a new datatable and then join the result but would prefer to do this within the same datatable.

Thanks!

GroupSquareWolf_0-1679416641928.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: calculate area under the curve by integration then populate the result in a new column.

I wouldn't use formulas if you just want to replicate same value to each row (in most cases it is better to use << Set Each Value in cases like this).

I'm not sure if there is any quick syntax to replace column names with new variables, but char+substitute+parse+expressions is one option

Names Default To Here(1);

dt = New Table("Untitled",
	Add Rows(4),
	Compress File When Saved(1),
	New Column("t", Numeric, "Continuous", Format("Best", 12), Set Values([1, 2, 3, 4])),
	New Column("r", Numeric, "Continuous", Format("Best", 12), Formula(:t ^ 2))
);

dt << New Column("i", Numeric, Continuous, << Set Each Value(
	f = Eval Expr(Expr(Parse(Substitute(Char(Column(dt, "r") << get formula), ":", ""))));
	Integrate(f, t, Col Min(:t), Col Max(:t));
));
-Jarmo

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jthi
Super User

Re: calculate area under the curve by integration then populate the result in a new column.

Try checking out how the formula JMP generates does look like, it will most likely replace your time with :time so use different name for the variable and inside expression than columns in your data table (and possibly wrap it inside As Constant())

As Constant(
	resp = Expr(a * a);
	area = Integrate(resp, a, Col Min(:time), Col Max(:time));
)
-Jarmo
GroupSquareWolf
Level III

What if the expression used by Integrate needs to be extracted from the formula in a column, for example to Integrate using a formula from a polynomial fit.

In the table below, the formula in the predictor column would use  :time and :response. Is there a quick syntax to replace the column names with new variables?

GroupSquareWolf_0-1679436129378.png

jthi
Super User

I wouldn't use formulas if you just want to replicate same value to each row (in most cases it is better to use << Set Each Value in cases like this).

I'm not sure if there is any quick syntax to replace column names with new variables, but char+substitute+parse+expressions is one option

Names Default To Here(1);

dt = New Table("Untitled",
	Add Rows(4),
	Compress File When Saved(1),
	New Column("t", Numeric, "Continuous", Format("Best", 12), Set Values([1, 2, 3, 4])),
	New Column("r", Numeric, "Continuous", Format("Best", 12), Formula(:t ^ 2))
);

dt << New Column("i", Numeric, Continuous, << Set Each Value(
	f = Eval Expr(Expr(Parse(Substitute(Char(Column(dt, "r") << get formula), ":", ""))));
	Integrate(f, t, Col Min(:t), Col Max(:t));
));
-Jarmo