cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hogi
Level XI

actions via mouseover ? - us a modifier Key 👉🔳

Hi,

I  wanted to trigger an action via a data point.

The approach via Hover Label  / Click is way too slow:
one has to wait till the hover label appears, then one has to "find" the link and click.

hogi_0-1723062920479.png

On the other hand: when I use Hover Label / "Picture" the result - yes, is very fast - but too uncontrolled.
Whenever the user moves the mouse over a data point, the action is triggered. buah!

So, my final solution was to trigger the action just if a Modifier Key is pressed, like here with CTRL:

hogi_0-1723064177483.png

The result:
JMP as interactive as we love it : )

4 REPLIES 4
jthi
Super User

Re: actions via mouseover ? - us a modifier Key 👉🔳

If user stops on top of a point, it will still trigger as Is Control Key() will return non-zero value. This might of course be what you want (not really sure why JMP does that, maybe Is Control Key() is very finicky depending where it is used?). I usually prefer adding links to my hover labels to open web pages or trigger actions as it provides much more control on what I want to do (and still hover labels trigger too much).

-Jarmo
hogi
Level XI

Which version of JMP are you using?

on my system it works nicely:
CTRL pressed -> link is opened

no CTRL -> no link is opened.

via the Modifier Key, the user can decide if an action should be executed.
"hover label trigger too much" -> no issue here 

hogi
Level XI

I just removed the compressed column such that the table can be opened with JMP17.
-> works as well.

jthi
Super User

I'm fairly sure I was using JMP 18.0.1. The issue hasn't re-appeared so I think JMP had left something weird in memory which caused it to open when I let the hover label appear.

There is still the issue of hover label triggering too much, if you hold ctrl and have few points very close to each other -> all will trigger (or some) but is one of the (many) issues with hover labels we currently just have to live with. In the case of your example data it isn't that bad as you can just make the plot larger -> more space between points.

-Jarmo