cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JT383
Level I

Windows10: Have to press ALT key twice to access file menu with keyboard, and keyboard commands generally slow to respond

I am using JMP 14.0.0 64-bit on Windows10.

Keyboard commands are all slower to respond than I expect (for instance CTRL+W to close the Column Info window takes ~1 second), and to get the file commands activated I have to type the ALT key twice when I switch to a window for the first time.  For instance, if I ALT+TAB to Excel, then ALT+TAB back to JMP, and press ALT, nothing happens.  If I press ALT again, then I can access File, Edit, Tables, Rows, etc. by pressing F, E, T, R, etc.

I have previously used many earlier versions of JMP on Windows7, and these issues are entirely new.  Does anyone know about any Windows10 settings or drivers that have known interactions or delays with JMP?

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Re: Windows10: Have to press ALT key twice to access file menu with keyboard, and keyboard commands generally slow to respond

I have been running with Windows 10 for a long time, and have not experienced anything like that.
Jim

Re: Windows10: Have to press ALT key twice to access file menu with keyboard, and keyboard commands generally slow to respond

First of all, JMP does not behave this way if JMP remains the active application. A single press of the Alt key is all that is required to access the keyboard short cuts, even if you switch from one JMP window to another.

On the other hand, if you switch to another application and then switch back to JMP by pressing Alt-Tab, then the first press of the Alt key appears to do nothing. I think it actually acquires keyboard focus for JMP.

Note that if you switch back to JMP by clicking a JMP window, then JMP acquires keyboard focus and the first press of Alt activates the menus.

So you should only encounter this behavior when you switch to JMP from another behavior.

(I am not a Windows developer, so maybe one of them can explain how keyboard focus works better than I can.)

I should add that if the direction is in reverse (press Alt-Tab to switch from JMP to another application), then it takes two presses of Alt to activate the keyboard short cuts in the second application.