cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
UGC
UGC
Level II

Wilcoxon signed rank test : Test statistic S

Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance for what must seem like a very obvious question.

When you do a pair analysis of variable in JMP, you can ask the software to perform a Wilcoxon signed rank test which then gives me as a result a test statistics named S.

Question is : What is S?

It does not match the sum of all the ranks because it can be a negative

It does not match the sum of the signed ranks or even the half-sum of the signed ranks (and it would be named W not S)

Can someone please share some light on this issue since the JMP documentation only states how to calculate W but doesn't say a word about S ?

Another question : How do i switch from a one-tail test (which is the one performed) to a two tailed test.

I've included the sample data i use. The sum of the positive ranks is 19 and the sum of the negative ranks is 134.

W should be 62.5. S is 68. What am i missing ?

Best regards,

11 REPLIES 11
rlw268
Level III

Re: Wilcoxon signed rank test : Test statistic S

Hi, 

I am having the same issue as she is. My R+ is 1527, my sample has 76 pairs, and 11 0's. I try plugging my values into that formula and I get . When JMP is returning 581 for S. Please help me I am going nuts. 

S = R+ - 1/4[(N(N+1)-do(do+1)]

S= 1527-1/4[76(76+1)-11(11+1)]

S=97

Also how is this calculating M for the sign statistic?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should mention when adding these in the matched pair test under analyzed I am putting dad height first then height (which is the opposite of how I want it to read out)

Rachel

Re: Wilcoxon signed rank test : Test statistic S

It looks like you got a response to the same question on a different thread: https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Wilcoxon-Sign-Ranked-Test-JMP-OUT-PUT/td-p/312503

I think the key is that the signed ranks for the ties are zero, but then the rest of the signed ranks start at d0+1 (or a midrank associated with that rank, when there are ties), where d0 is the number of ties.

Michael Crotty
Sr Statistical Writer
JMP Development