cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Evan_Morris
Level IV

Why is graph builder displaying an ordinal axis as interval?

More a quibble than anything else, but I have some ordinal numeric data and the axis is being set up as interval.  So I have data for 14, 14.6, 50, but nothing between.  I expect them to be in order, but without an interpretation of the interval spacing.  Basically the definition of ordinal.  Yet the axis is presenting the ordinal data as existing on a continuous interval, so all the steps between 14.6 and 50 are all zero.

I find that I can just switch to nominal and I'm fine since it does the axis alphabetically, but just curious if there's some reason ordinal axes are being presented this way as it seems incorrect to me.

2 REPLIES 2
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Why is graph builder displaying an ordinal axis as interval?

Can you share the data and a picture? I see this, table attached.

ordinal (green ascending stair steps icon)ordinal (green ascending stair steps icon)

Craige
Uli
Uli
Level I

Re: Why is graph builder displaying an ordinal axis as interval?

Sorry to re-open an old thread here – I've had the same issue as Evan, and upon investigation, I find that with >50 distinct numerical values graph builder will make the axis continuous despite the column being set to ordinal. When there are fewer than 50 distinct values, the axis comes out ordinal as expected (matching Craige's observation).

Is there a way to control this behaviour? And perhaps more generally, is there a way to force graph builder axes to either continuous or ordinal, irrespective of the underlying data column's settings?