cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jmv
jmv
Level III

Why is a cell in a new row blocked with an "X"?

Hi all, while manually entering a new row into a data table the corresponding cell in the third column immediately is blocked with a black "X". See attached photo. Any idea as to why this is happening? I closed all graphs associated with the data table. The first two columns are scroll-locked for easy viewing which is the only thing I notice that might be a factor. It looks like a number can be entered into the cell when the cell is selected but I'm still wondering why the cell has an X in it. Thanks! (JMP 16.0.0)

ih_0-1663850514202.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Why is a cell in a new row blocked with an "X"?

Hi jmv,

I can see why that would look strange! The cell isn't actually blocked; instead, the reason you see the x through the cell is because you have no value in that cell. When you color cells by value in a data table, JMP wants to highlight the fact that a particular cell is missing a value. This is important when your color scheme uses white to indicate something (which often happens with gradient color schemes) because it would be ambiguous (especially for a character column) to show a blank cell as white. 

I hope this helps!

@julian 

julian_0-1663851350349.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi jmv,

I can see why that would look strange! The cell isn't actually blocked; instead, the reason you see the x through the cell is because you have no value in that cell. When you color cells by value in a data table, JMP wants to highlight the fact that a particular cell is missing a value. This is important when your color scheme uses white to indicate something (which often happens with gradient color schemes) because it would be ambiguous (especially for a character column) to show a blank cell as white. 

I hope this helps!

@julian 

julian_0-1663851350349.png

jmv
jmv
Level III

Hi Julian,

That makes perfect sense! Thank you!!

Joe