cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Steen1808
Level I

Which exploratory and causal statistical techniques are relevant for the balanced scorecard concept?

3 REPLIES 3
Steen1808
Level I

Re: Which exploratory and causal statistical techniques are relevant for the balanced scorecard concept?

Of course we could use correlation and regression etc., but often we have to use different techniques, because the BSC is a holistic framework with many different ideas and relations. SEM (structural equation model) would also be possible. I just want to if any one has some experiences with the BSC - in estimating many KPIs and different types of KPIs to get some output that can be used for future decision-making!

dale_lehman
Level VII

Re: Which exploratory and causal statistical techniques are relevant for the balanced scorecard concept?

It might be interesting to look at a principal components analysis - if there are a large number of dimensions to the scorecard.  I am thinking that you want to end up with more than one "bottom line" but not so many that the scorecard measures everything, and so, nothing.  But I would go to regression and correlation for sure.

P_Bartell
Level VIII

The market basket of techniques boils down to what Dr. Deming called 'enumerative or analytic studies.' Broadly speaking the focus of enumerative studies is to describe a sample or population in some fashion. So generally, for enumerative studies, you are talking about either descriptive statistics (yuk) and their inferential brethren (confidence intervals etc.) or graphical methods where the focus is usually on answering these types of questions:

1. Where's the middle?

2. How spread out is the data?

3. What's the shape look like?

4. How does the data vary over time?

For analytic studies the focus is on prediction. So now modeling techniques prevail.

In either case I encourage using are what I call Peter Bartell's "Three Rules for Data Analysis"...

1. plot the data.

2. Plot The Data.

3. PLOT THE Data.

Now for the disclaimer...as one who for many, many years in industry/business that was at the forefront of either creating KPIs or analyzing them...beware. As Lloyd Nelson was also fond of saying...something along the lines of...""The most important figures that one needs for management are unknown or unknowable, but successful management must nevertheless take account of them." So why people get all worked up over KPIs was always beyond me,