cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jwsmd
Level I

What is the n-quantile function in the Distribution platform?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: What is the n-quantile function in the Distribution platform?

Are you asking about the Normal Quantile Plot command in the Distribution platform menu?

jwsmd
Level I

Yes. What is its formula? Does it transform any skewed distribution to a normal distribution?

JWS

txnelson
Super User

A Normal Quantile Plot does not perform a transformation to normal, rather, it provides a visual picture to help determine if a distribution is normal.  The plot and the statistical details are all available in the Help screens provided with JMP.  The easy way to access the Help for anything being displayed in JMP, is to use the "?" tool from the Tool Bar

q1.PNG

and then just move the "?" to the graph or table of interest and click on it, it will display the JMP Help for that object.

q2.PNG

Note: at the bottom of the Help screen, there is a link to the Statistical Details.

Jim
jwsmd
Level I

I may have asked my question incorrectly. If I have a column of numeric variables, and I select it and JMP will create a histogram of the values. Then if I ask the program to "save" prob scores, standard scores (z-scores) or N-Quantile scores the program creates an initial column in the table for each of my choices. If I ask it to create a distribution of the saved N-quantiles I get a normal shaped distribution.

My question is what is the formula JMP uses to create the N-Quantile( "Normal Shaped") distribution?
txnelson
Super User

The "Save==>Normal Quantiles", just saves the values from the Normal Quantile plot,

q3.PNG

which can be seen as just the data values from the Normal Quantile plot.  If you are looking for transforming to a Normal Distribution from a Non Normal distribution, you need to look into the 

Continuous Fit ==>All

and then from the analysis of which distribution is determined as the best fitting distribution, choose a transformation to transform to Normal.

Jim
jwsmd
Level I

Thank you !!

JWS