cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
MetaboChris
Level I

What is the easiest way in JMP to arrange an array of boxplots of different variables?

Hello,

I'm analyzing metabolomics data on a regular basis. My data tables typically consist of hundreds of variables (i.e., analyte signal intensities, in columns). The rows contain the observations which belong to different groups, for example fresh vs. stored. One frequent task is to create an array of boxplots, let's say 16 bopxlots in a 4 by 4 fashion, with the y axes being scaled individually. Using graph builder, I can easily arrange several boxplots in column-wise manner but, as far as I can see, creating an array of boxplots is not easily possible, at least not without a complicated rearrangement of the data table, the introduction of dummy variables and using the "group by X" function

This is what I have:

example_data_table.jpg

This is what I need (here arranged manually using a photo editor):

example_boxplot-array.png

Is there a smart and quick way to solve this problem?

1 REPLY 1
ian_jmp
Staff

Re: What is the easiest way in JMP to arrange an array of boxplots of different variables?

Since JMP can generate code, it's always a good strategy to do something 'by hand' and see what you get (even if you know JSL).

So, in this case, you could build the left-hand set interactively in one window (using Graph Builder) then do the same for the right-hand set in another. Then use the Combine Windows menu option. This will actually make a JMP Dashboard. This may be enough, but even if not, you will have most of the code you need.