Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

HOw to change width (fatness) of box plots in graph builder?

ram

Contributor

Jun 5, 2017

How i can change the size (width) of the box plot in graph builder? they are so thin. i do not want stretch the graph unnecesarily. there seems to be quit of space between each box .

Thanks

Ram

GB_Pic.PNG

5 REPLIES
XanGregg

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

There's no width option, but they're usually not that skinny. It can happen if you use the same variable for both X and Overlay. Or maybe if the X is continuous. Can you check those or share a little more about how you're creating the view?

ram

Contributor

Jun 5, 2017

X and overlay are different are different columns (names). X is nominal. it does not matter ix X is numeric or char. but X is nominal in this case. attached a sample data table. please run the script "Test" in data table.

XanGregg

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Thanks for providing an example. With this sample data, there are a couple things going on. One is that there are a lot of potential box plots. There are 2 levels for P1 X 24 wafers X 13 lot IDs, so Graph Builder is allocating space for 624 box plots, which makes them skinny. However, a little less than half of those combinations contain data, so it only draws 290 box plots. That's still a lot, and I can see why they look too skinny since half the slots are empty. Looks like your data may have even more empty slots.

The only remedy I can think of is to create some synthetic variable that represents only non-empty combinations, such as the Wafer ID in lot ID column in the sample data does, but that may give up the consistent coloring.

ram

Contributor

Jun 5, 2017

Thanks for explaining.

and its kinda wiered the moment you add overlay option, box becomes skinny. :(. Thats only option for coloring boxes by "Split" to have some sort of legend option.

Farzaneh

Community Member

Dec 11, 2017

Hi,

I want to change the width of my bar chart in JMP so that a two bar chart graph has the similar width  as the 4 bar chart graph.

Thanks