cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
nford
Level I

What is the best method for JSL version control?

I created a modeling process in JSL. Now, I want to iterate on the model. For example, I want to test out different model inputs, model settings, etc. However, before I start iterating, I want to decide upon a robust framework for organizing and maintaining all the programs and data tables that will result from iterating.

What's the best software for version control? Should I use GitHub or Subversion? Perhaps I don't need any additional software. Perhaps instead I can just change the output directory for each model iteration.

Thanks in advance,

Nate

5 REPLIES 5

Re: What is the best method for JSL version control?

Hello Nate,

If you have a source control software, it could be useful to store your source on it.

It is easiest to find old release and tools to compare are most often included.

This one could be use for free for example : Free Subversion (SVN) Hosting | Unlimited Repos and Users | Assembla

Regards,

Guillaume

Guillaume
nford
Level I

Hi Guillaume,

Thank you for responding to my question.

I agree that version control is a good idea. Also, I know that Subversion is version control software. Allow me to restate my question.

What is the best method for JSL version control? Is Subversion the best software? Is it better than Git? Is version control software even necessary, or should I just implement a version control method using JMP/JSL?

Thanks,

Nate

ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

I recently started using GitLab for source control of .jsl files; that uses the Rogue rubygem though which does not support jsl syntax highlighting. If someone had the time and knew the syntax creating a new 'lexer' file for it doesn't look too complex based on the files for other languages.

Is anyone else using source/version control?

pmroz
Super User

I've been using Tortoise SVN for a few years and really like it.  The .JSL files are just ASCII so they're easy to work with in Tortoise.

https://tortoisesvn.net/

David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

ditto

-Dave