cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hartpjb
Level III

What does logWorth measure that is not included in the anova table of a Fit Model analysis?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: What does logWorth measure that is not included in the anova table of a Fit Model analysis?

Hi @hartpjb,

The logWorth values shown in the effect summary table are -log transformations of each model effect's p-value. This representation can be useful when interpreting the degree of difference in importance between your model effects (i.e. potentially easier to compare than p-values). The Analysis of Variance table is used in evaluating the overall model. More information on these tables can be found in JMP's help documentation: Effect Summary and Analysis of Variance.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Re: What does logWorth measure that is not included in the anova table of a Fit Model analysis?

Hi @hartpjb,

The logWorth values shown in the effect summary table are -log transformations of each model effect's p-value. This representation can be useful when interpreting the degree of difference in importance between your model effects (i.e. potentially easier to compare than p-values). The Analysis of Variance table is used in evaluating the overall model. More information on these tables can be found in JMP's help documentation: Effect Summary and Analysis of Variance.

hartpjb
Level III

Hi Jeff, Thanks for the explanation. logWorth appears unique to JMP. I find no reference to it in books on statistical methods - e.g. Sokal and Rohlf 'Biometry' or Zar 'Biostatistical analysis' or Snedecor 'Statistical methods'. Is logWorth peculiar to certain disciplines? - I am a biologist and perhaps have a limited view of the statistical field.

Hi @hartpjb,

Data transformations are used in many disciplines; some transformation are functional (i.e. log transform of concentration when evaluating bioassay data) while others are more for aesthetic/visualization purposes. The latter is the case for LogWorth. As mentioned above, this transformation can make it easier to visualize and interpret truncated p-values. Two model effects may have a p-value show as 0.0000, leading you to think they are equally important; when transformed, though, you may find that one model effect is more important than another.

I can't speak to whether LogWorth is specific to JMP - if you're curious and want a more clear answer then you may consider tuning into our virtual JMP Discovery Conference next week. There is a 'Meet the Experts' session where you can chat with our Development Team, the great minds behind JMP