cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ryandewitt
Community Manager Community Manager

What do you call JMP's red triangles?

The Red Triangles in JMP reveal contextual drop down menus that show relevant commands. JMP features contextual menus accessed via small red triangles throughout the software. Some JMP users call them hot spots, inverted red triangles, or just triangles.Feel free to Comment below on what you call them.

Narration:  
When selected, the red triangles reveal contextual drop down menus allow us to customize output in the moment, depending on our analytic needs.
So basically we’ll get different options when we select them depending on where your at in JMP.
Looking at some quick sample data in JMP, we have a Fit Y by X bivariate report.
Here with the red triangle we can Fit a Line or Mean and toggle on the data points.
In the same report under Linear Fit that red triangle let’s us adjust things like regression line color.
So if you need something related to where you’re at in a data formatting step or analysis, you’re just a JMP red triangle click away.

Ryan DeWitt - JMP User Enablement | Creative • Video • Design • Learning
13 REPLIES 13
pmroz
Super User

Re: What do you call JMP's red triangles?

I call them "red triangles".

louv
Staff (Retired)

I call them upside-down equilateral red triangles:)

I call them red hot spots.

Steven_Moore
Level VI

Hot spots

Steve
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

When working with a person who has zero knowledge of JMP design architecture: "These down pointing red triangles are a pervasive feature throughout JMP. I call them 'hot spots'. They contain a pathway to supplement or modify a jmp report, data table, or just about any other landing spot in the JMP workflow."

When working with a person who knows JMP: "hot spot".

I call that "viola."

Jenkins Macedo
shoffmeister
Level V

It's definitively Hot Spots! ;)

mark_anawis
Level IV

Hot spots.

msharp
Super User (Alumni)

I've called them everything from "Red Triangle" & "Hot Spot" to "This thingy" & "Graph Menu". 

I think for the most part though, I don't ever talk about them.  It's just quicker to say: "Create a linear fit" versus "Click the Red Triangle and select the Fit Line option"  (unless I'm talking to a JMP newbie, but that's understandable).