cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Weighting Observations

I'm trying to pull some summary statistics out of a weighted dataset (e.g., proportion of the population that has blue as a favorite colour). However, JMP does not seem to automatically weight counts. Is there a way to get JMP to produce the weighted count?

Thanks for your help.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Weighting Observations

Which platform are you using, Distribution? Did you put the data column with the Counts in the Freq analysis role in the launch dialog?

Yes, I am using the distribution command under Analyze. The variable I'm looking at has been assigned to being nominal, and I've included my weight variable. 

Do you have another data column with the weight to be used for each level?

Maybe I should ask what you mean by 'weighted' in this case?

I have two variables; colour preference and weight.  Colour preference are nominal, and weight is continuous. I have a sample of 8,000 that is scaled to a population of 30,000.

Ah, then color preference is the Y variable and weight is the Weight variable. There is not count for the Freq role. Does that clarification help?

Here is an example:

Capture.PNG

Here is the Distribution analysis:

Capture.PNG

Alternatively, the levels might be pre-summarized:

Capture.PNG

But the Distribution analysis is the same using N Rows in the Freq role.

How does weighting enter your analysis?

I'm wanting to be able to state that X% of the population prefer blue. 

KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Try using your weight as the frequency.  I am assuming your data tabel has 8000 rows and you have a coulm that "weights" each row to the proprotion of the full population that it represents.  So this "wegithing" column is the "frequency" of that response in the population.  To get your population counts from your sample use your response (color) as your Y and the "weight" as the FREQ column.  Then you will get something like this (my example has N = 28741 rows weighted to a population of N = 955968818)

Raw Data

Level 

Count

Prob

Total

Population Wise:

Level 

Count

Prob

Total