Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
eldad_galili
Level III

Wavelet F-ML data comparison

Hi All,

I performed Functional machine learning using wavelet model and used the all the RES Wavelets Coefficients as input to NN model. see attached file name "Wavelets Model Summaries (Wavelet=Symlet 20)".

Now I want to compare another data set (2.1_Wavelets Model Summaries (Wavelet=Symlet 20)), but when I combine tables, the prediction formula not working on the second data set. what can I do to use the NN formula of the 1st data set on the 2nd data set?

Thank You very much.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Wavelet F-ML data comparison

Have you reached out to JMP Technical Support, they are great.  You may have run across a bug.  If so, support will get the information to the appropriate developer.  This issue sounds technical enough that there are only a couple of JMP developers that come to mind.  Make sure Technical Support knows JMP version, Host OS, OS version, ...

Victor_G
Super User

Re: Wavelet F-ML data comparison

Hi @eldad_galili,

I think the problem is trivial : you're using different X's for the prediction of SubGroup between your training/validation set and your test set (your other dataset). See the numbers after Res 1, Res 2, Res 3, ... that do not match between the two tables :

Victor_G_0-1708448109877.png

It seems you have fit a functional model on your first dataset, extract the coefficients and fit a NN on these coefficients. On the other hand, you also have fit another functional model on the other dataset, and extracted the coefficients (but in this case, the X's are different, they do not come from the same exact model), and try to predict the subgroup by using the formula from previous NN fitting on the previous X's. So the NN can't predict anything on this test dataset since it hasn't learned from these "new" X's. Even if these models may be close (they come from the same functional model family, Symlet 20), the knots used in fitting these models may be different, hence the different X's naming and the prediction not possible.

What I would recommend is combining the two datasets together and either add a validation column to separate the training/validation set from the test set (the other dataset), or hide and exclude the rows corresponding to the other dataset / test set. Then launch the FDE with your validation column (or only the training rows not excluded), so that only the training set is used to fit the model. You can then extract the coefficients (same for all runs) and fit a NN only on your training/validation set. Then, save the formula for predicting subgroup in the datatable, and you'll be able to predict subgroup for the test data. 

Solution from a very similar problem here : https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Functional-Data-Analysis-and-Classification-How-to-calculat...

It's very important to have the same functional model fitting if you want to use the coefficients from this model to predict other properties.

Hope this will help you,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics