cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
nikles
Level VI

Using the Hier Clust Function

Hi.  How can I sort a vector of data into clusters using the "Hier Clust()" function?  I'm aware this can be done for a data column in a table, using the tools in the Clustering menu. However, I'm interested in doing this without a table or involving a GUI.

Hier Clust() takes a data vector and returns a list of 5 vectors: {OldToNew, NewToOld, Leader, Joiner, Distance}.  So, perhaps a more specific question is: how can I use this information to assign a cluster to each item in my original vector?

Using JMP Pro 15.2.1

As always, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nikles
Level VI

Re: Using the Hier Clust Function

Answering my own question in case anyone finds it helpful.  I was able to find a way to determine the cluster for a vector of data x_vec (assuming nclusters) using this script:

hc_lis = Hier Clust(x_vec);
ldr_vec = Eval(hc_lis[3]);
jnr_vec = Eval(hc_lis[4]);
c_vec = (1::NItems(ldr_vec))`;     //initialize a vector that will become the cluster ids
For(i=1, i<=NItems(ldr_vec) - nclusters, i++,
	loc_vec = Loc(c_vec, jnr_vec[i]);
	c_vec[loc_vec] = ldr_vec[i];
);
c_aa = AssociativeArray(c_vec);
c_lis = c_aa << Get Keys;    //list of just the cluster ids

This returns c_vec, which is a matrix the same size as x_vec, where c_vec[I] = the cluster id number of x_vec[I].  Also returned is c_lis, which is just a list of the cluster ids.  

If there's a faster or more elegant way to do this, please let me know. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
nikles
Level VI

Re: Using the Hier Clust Function

Answering my own question in case anyone finds it helpful.  I was able to find a way to determine the cluster for a vector of data x_vec (assuming nclusters) using this script:

hc_lis = Hier Clust(x_vec);
ldr_vec = Eval(hc_lis[3]);
jnr_vec = Eval(hc_lis[4]);
c_vec = (1::NItems(ldr_vec))`;     //initialize a vector that will become the cluster ids
For(i=1, i<=NItems(ldr_vec) - nclusters, i++,
	loc_vec = Loc(c_vec, jnr_vec[i]);
	c_vec[loc_vec] = ldr_vec[i];
);
c_aa = AssociativeArray(c_vec);
c_lis = c_aa << Get Keys;    //list of just the cluster ids

This returns c_vec, which is a matrix the same size as x_vec, where c_vec[I] = the cluster id number of x_vec[I].  Also returned is c_lis, which is just a list of the cluster ids.  

If there's a faster or more elegant way to do this, please let me know.