cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Mcc99
Level I

Using Update Table for VLOOKUP like function not working?

I have a list of names, many of which repeat in one data table. I would like to populate new columns with each subject's age, sex, and other demographic information. This information is stored in a separate data table. From previous forum responses, it seems like the Update Table function is recommended as the easiest way to mimic the VLOOKUP function in excel. Unfortunately, I can't seem to make the function work how I need it to. I set the two columns with patient names as the matching variable, and then select the columns with the demographic information I would like transferred. However, I get a notice that no data has been transferred and my sheet does not update. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong! 

Mcc99_0-1724164927653.png

7 REPLIES 7
txnelson
Super User

Re: Using Update Table for VLOOKUP like function not working?

It would be very helpful if you could attach samples of the 2 data tables 

Jim
jthi
Super User

You might want to try using Join instead of Update as your original table might already have those columns (you are trying to add new columns, not update existing).

-Jarmo
Mcc99
Level I

If I make blank columns for each of the demographic information, would that work better? 

jthi
Super User

I would try to understand why update isn't working. Are there any matches between Sample and NAME? Is there any data to add? Do the columns already exist (at least sex does from your example image)? And you can try Join platform as it gives you the option to use different joins than inner join (left/right and outer join).

-Jarmo
hogi
Level XI

Join has the HUGE disadvantage:
no option to update the main table.
jthi
Super User

Both of them have their pros and cons as they have different use cases. Join is much more flexible if you don't mind that it will create a new table

-Jarmo
hogi
Level XI

[Interesting: shifted down by several positions]

No need to add blank columns.

If you want to.
Please use the replace columns menu instead of 'add columns'.