cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
MarcP
Level III

Use multi variable selection in a parallel plot

Is it possible to select/highlight/color a subset of data in a parallel plot, while still seeing the remaining data?

Let's say, I have 10 input variables and 2 quality variables. I'd like to select on each of the 2 quality variables a region where quality is good and quality is bad. Ideally I'd like to color those regions green and red, and see what the other variables are doing. Then I may want to select a region in one of the input variables (e.g. throughput). I found out that I can select a region for one variable, but I don't know how to do this for multiple variables? Local filtering hides the remaining data, but that's not what I want.

So: color red where variable_1 between a AND b and variable_2 between c AND d and variable_3 between e AND f

color green where variable_1 < a OR > b and variable_2 < c AND > d and variable_3 < e AND > f

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SDF1
Super User

Re: Use multi variable selection in a parallel plot

Hi @MarcP ,

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you want, but I tried to mock something up using the Semiconductor Capability file in the sample data.

If you open Graph Builder and select your columns of interest and then click the X axis, the far right graph style box in graph Builder is for parallel plots. You can then double click the Y-axis and add reference lines. You'll want to be sure to click the Allow Ranges box, where you can enter the min/max values and you can select the color by clicking on the color box by Line Color. See screen shot below. 

DiedrichSchmidt_0-1624454001292.png

After changing the min/max values and the color to your needs, click the Add button before clicking OK. In the example above, I used the NPN1, PNP1, and PNP2 columns of the data table for the parallel plot. This is just to show an example of how you'd do it.

I hope this is more or less what you're looking for, or at least close enough to get you started in the right direction.

Hope this helps!,

DS

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SDF1
Super User

Hi @MarcP ,

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you want, but I tried to mock something up using the Semiconductor Capability file in the sample data.

If you open Graph Builder and select your columns of interest and then click the X axis, the far right graph style box in graph Builder is for parallel plots. You can then double click the Y-axis and add reference lines. You'll want to be sure to click the Allow Ranges box, where you can enter the min/max values and you can select the color by clicking on the color box by Line Color. See screen shot below. 

DiedrichSchmidt_0-1624454001292.png

After changing the min/max values and the color to your needs, click the Add button before clicking OK. In the example above, I used the NPN1, PNP1, and PNP2 columns of the data table for the parallel plot. This is just to show an example of how you'd do it.

I hope this is more or less what you're looking for, or at least close enough to get you started in the right direction.

Hope this helps!,

DS

MarcP
Level III

Hi @SDF1 ,

Thanks for your reply. Below you can see 2 pictures that may clarify what I mean. These are screenshots from XDAT. Using sliders on multiple variables you can select data and color or filter them. In the second picture I used sliders on Density and Failure_Strain. Would like to do something similar in JMP. 

parallel color.pngparallel filter density failure_strain.png

stan_koprowski
Community Manager Community Manager

HI @MarcP ,

You might want to try combining a local data filter with the parallel plot.

For example, using the Titanic Passenger.jmp data table from the sample data.

I selected Passenger Class, Survived, Sex, Age, and Fare and dropped them on the X zone.

JMP Graph Builder Drop ZonesJMP Graph Builder Drop Zones

I then used passenger class in the color role.

Change from points to parallel plot by clicking on the parallel element.

Dragging the Passenger Class to the last position on the graph produces the following output:

JMP Graph Builder Parallel Plot with Color RoleJMP Graph Builder Parallel Plot with Color Role

I then added a local data filter from the red triangle menu option next to the Graph Builder outline.

JMP Local Data FilterJMP Local Data Filter

I can then make selections from the local data filter to update the parallel plot.

JMP Graph Builder Parallel Plot with Local Data FilterJMP Graph Builder Parallel Plot with Local Data Filter

Does this get you closer to the type of plot you seek?

cheers,

Stan

MarcP
Level III

Hi @stan_koprowski ,

This definitely get closer to what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help. One additional question: Can I set the local filter, by selecting an area on the y-axis of a single variable? Using the arrow, I can select an area, which highlights the selected data. Can I link/transfer this selection somehow to the local filter settings?

titanic parallel.pngtitanic parallel2.png

SDF1
Super User

Hi @MarcP ,

I was thinking along the same lines as @stan_koprowski . If you have another column that you want to color by, or one of the existing columns, then you can drop it in the color box for the parallel plot within Graph Builder. You can further modify/edit the settings by right clicking the legend and editing the gradient options. You can have discrete levels or continuous, or it can be scaled linear or log, etc. Lots of different options. I'm not sure that there is a "slider" capability at present, but it's possible you might be able to script that up so you can use a slider to change color levels, or cutoffs, etc.

Here's the example of the Semiconductor Capability with NPN1 as the color scale.

Snap1.png

Or an example where SITE is used as the color coding.

Snap2.png

Hope this helps!,

DS