cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
drewb
Level I

Update/refresh a JMP table from csv file

Hi there,

I am working with a csv file that I have imported to JMP for analysis (I like the graphs and statistical analyses that I can perform with JMP). However, the file is rather large, and I execute a lot of code in R. At the end of my R script, I export the data to a csv, upload it to JMP, and perform my analyses.

This works great until I need to go back into R to change an equation. I end up doing the following:

1) Run the revised script in R

2) Export the data table from R as a csv file

3) Open the csv file in JMP

4) Update the old datatable in JMP with the new data from the csv file

Steps 1 & 2 aren't too bad, but step 3 really takes a long time. Is there a way I can just refresh my old JMP datatable without having to open the new CSV in JMP and then update the old data table with the new data table in JMP?

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
txnelson
Super User

Re: Update/refresh a JMP table from csv file

This seems too obvious for you not to have looked into it, but have you tried running your R programs from the JMP interface to r? The transfer of the data would be done all in memory, without a conversion to .csv.
Jim
drewb
Level I

Ah, that was something I had looked at, but was hoping to avoid, since the script I had put together starts with a big dataframe, runs calculations, then spits out several "little" dataframes. Rather than send a little dataframe back to R for some recalculation, I was hoping to just run the modified R script on the big dataframe, have it spit out a new little dataframe, which I could then access on JMP.

But using the interface you referred to is definitely something I could do, I was just hoping there was an alternative that didn't involve redoing my R script (I may be "intermediate" with JMP, but I'm a toddler with R, and writing scripts takes me a while to get right).

Thanks!

txnelson
Super User

What are you doing in R that you couldn't do in JMP using JSL and the JMP Platforms?
Jim
drewb
Level I

Part of what I'm doing in R involves some calculations, and part is just data reorganization. The biggest reason I'm using R is to force myself how to learn this, as it seems a lot of our organization uses this. The things I really like about JMP is that it's fairly quick for generating graphs & pivot tables on the go (which is great, as a lot of my meetings require me to generate novel graphs on-the-fly). But R is nice for working on really large datasets (I've moved into situations where I'm having to start with millions of rows of data), so for right now I'm using R for my calculations but then JMP for my final analysis.

txnelson
Super User

Many times I process JMP data tables with thousands of columns and millions of rows. Many of the items one does to manipulate data, JMP will handle using parallel processing. So I rarely have a need to go to R for processing.
Jim
drewb
Level I

Hmm, maybe I'll give JMP another stab at this. Thanks!

thentangler1
Level II

I have the same question too. Could someone please let me know how I can modify the script to update the existing table from the specified csv file?