cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
marshmadness98
Level II

Uneven amount of data rows

I have 15,000 rows of data sites from one spreadsheet, and I am trying to include data from another spreadsheet. The research sites are the same in both, although there are less rows in the data I am trying to input (about 1900 rows). I want all of the rows to match up, even if there are many duplicates. How would I go about doing this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Uneven amount of data rows

Here is a simple example.  I have 2 data tables, multiple and new data.

Multiple has 3 records for each name/age combination.  A total of 120 rows of data

m1.JPG

New Data table has only 40 rows of data

m2.JPG

If you join the tables using the below settings

m3.JPG

You end up with a joined table with only 1 copy of Name/Age values

m4.JPG

Jim

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SDF1
Super User

Hi @marshmadness98 ,

I'm not sure I entirely understand your issue, but it sounds like you basically have two data tables with the same number of columns (same names, too), but different number of rows.

I think what you'll want to do is concatenate the tables: Tables > Concatenate. This basically appends one data table to the other, like attaching one to the "bottom" or last row of one with the other.

Give that a try and see if it's what you are looking for. The other option could be to Join, but it doesn't sound like that's what you want to do.

Hope this helps!,

DS

marshmadness98
Level II

Hey, thanks so much for your response! I actually realized I do need to join the data together. So, I have two different Excel files I am trying to merge into one. Essentially, one of the files has a lot more rows. The file I am trying to add in matches up with the research sites from the first data table, although there are a lot less rows. The column name is this same. I'm trying to join the files in such a way that I'll end up with as many rows as the longer file, but so everything will match up. I am trying to include the type of marsh for each research site essentially, and I want that to duplicate as many times as possible to fill in the first data table fully. 

marshmadness98
Level II

you are totally right that the columns are the same, and the number of rows differs. But, I don't want to append it to the first file, if that makes sense. I want them to have the same number of rows, and when I tried to concatenate it, it just appended the second file at the last row of the first file

txnelson
Super User

Under

Tables=>Join

there is an option that allows for the elimination or inclusion of duplicates

dup.JPG

Jim
marshmadness98
Level II

This is great, thanks! I am still struggling. I am trying to match up two data tables by their SITE ID, but whenever I choose table--join-- I end up with entirely too many rows. It basically multiplied each of the 15,000 rows by six, and I am not sure why. I've tried a different combination of conditions, but I am unsure of why it keeps duplicating. Instead of just simply filling in the missing duplicates I need at 15,000, it multiples everything. I keep ending up with 89,200 rows, or 102,000 rows.

txnelson
Super User

Here is a simple example.  I have 2 data tables, multiple and new data.

Multiple has 3 records for each name/age combination.  A total of 120 rows of data

m1.JPG

New Data table has only 40 rows of data

m2.JPG

If you join the tables using the below settings

m3.JPG

You end up with a joined table with only 1 copy of Name/Age values

m4.JPG

Jim
SDF1
Super User

Hi @marshmadness98 ,

Yes, it definitely sounds like what you really need to do is join the tables and to use a specified column as the matching column. @txnelson gave a great example of how this is done. Depending on exactly how the tables are to be joined, you'll need to check certain boxes for different kinds of joins: inner, outer, full, or remove duplicate rows, etc. The join command is powerful, but it helps to know how all the options change the kind of join that JMP does. You can read more and see another example here.

Good luck!,

DS