cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
minruiwong
Level I

Unable to overwrite default column properties in graph builder for JMP16.1

I currently have JMP16.1 installed and am having an issue with overwriting default column properties in graph builder. To be specific, my problem arises from reference lines that I have previously saved for certain data items using the option of "save to column properties" (image 1) which cannot seem to be overwritten from the x/y axis setting in graph builder (image 2). The only way I am able to resolve this issue is to navigate to the default axis settings for that particular data item and remove the reference lines from there (image 3). This is particularly cumbersome as I have multiple data items that I have had default referenced lines saved for which might be useful for a future plot. This is a unique issue that I have faced in JMP16.1 which wasn't observed in JMP15. Does anyone have a more efficient workaround for this problem (preference setting maybe?) or could this be a bug with JMP16.1 that requires fixing? Will be reverting back to JMP15 for the time being.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unable to overwrite default column properties in graph builder for JMP16.1

This feature is intended as a convenience when JMP uses inappropriate axis settings by default. It enables your to modify the axis settings, including reference lines, and save the custom axis as a column property. The column property should be respected in any plot using that data column. It over-rides the axis in such a plot.

So this behavior is not a bug. The plot axis and Axis column property are working as intended. The typical use case did not consider that someone would want to ignore or update the axis settings or the Axis column property. You might want to click JMP Wish List in the menu above to see if what you want has been suggested. If so, kudo it! If not, then add a request.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

This feature is intended as a convenience when JMP uses inappropriate axis settings by default. It enables your to modify the axis settings, including reference lines, and save the custom axis as a column property. The column property should be respected in any plot using that data column. It over-rides the axis in such a plot.

So this behavior is not a bug. The plot axis and Axis column property are working as intended. The typical use case did not consider that someone would want to ignore or update the axis settings or the Axis column property. You might want to click JMP Wish List in the menu above to see if what you want has been suggested. If so, kudo it! If not, then add a request.

minruiwong
Level I

I see... so it is an intended feature. Thanks Mark!