cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Jaz
Jaz
Level IV

Time in Seconds to HH:MM:SS Format

Hi,

I have a column of seconds starting from 0 which increments by 1 second for each row. (0, 1, 2, 3, etc...). I was looking for a way to convert these times in seconds into a HH:MM:SS format. I came across this post: https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Date-Time-Format-Problem/td-p/52831 where a few ideas were suggested and I was wondering which approach would be the best to take. It doesn't have to work for the whole column, even being able to convert one time in seconds to the HH:MM:SS format would be useful. I want to do this solely using JSL.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Time in Seconds to HH:MM:SS Format

Just set the column format to one of the Duration formats available.  Go to Column Info for the column, and click on the down arrow beside the format and select Duration, and then choose which of the potential formats you want to use

Jim

View solution in original post

Like Jim, I assumed that when you said that you had data in the form of seconds (time), that you entered it as a numeric value. It never occurred to me either that you would enter it as character data.

So following Jim's solution, first change the Data Type to Numeric and the Modeling Type to Continuous. Then continue with his detailed step-by-step instructions.

txnelson
Super User

Your code is not working because your syntax is incorrect.  You can find all of the correct syntax and examples in the Scripting Index

Help==>Scripting Index

In your code, all of the issues are covered in the Data Table==>Column Scripting

jaz1.PNGJaz2.PNGJaz3.PNG

Jim

8 REPLIES 8
txnelson
Super User

Just set the column format to one of the Duration formats available.  Go to Column Info for the column, and click on the down arrow beside the format and select Duration, and then choose which of the potential formats you want to use

Jim
Jaz
Jaz
Level IV

Thanks but I can't seem to find format when in the column info dialogue box?

txnelson
Super User

colinfo.PNG

colinfo2.PNG

Jim
Jaz
Jaz
Level IV

Screenshot (4).png

Like Jim, I assumed that when you said that you had data in the form of seconds (time), that you entered it as a numeric value. It never occurred to me either that you would enter it as character data.

So following Jim's solution, first change the Data Type to Numeric and the Modeling Type to Continuous. Then continue with his detailed step-by-step instructions.

Jaz
Jaz
Level IV

Thanks, that worked. But I want to be able to script this change to duration. I clicked on Source>Edit but there seems to be no JSL for the duration change. I used the following code:

column(dt,"Stop Clock (seconds)")<<data type(Numeric)<<Modeling Type(Continuous)<<Format(Duration, hr:m:s); 

But it doesn't seem to work.

txnelson
Super User

Your code is not working because your syntax is incorrect.  You can find all of the correct syntax and examples in the Scripting Index

Help==>Scripting Index

In your code, all of the issues are covered in the Data Table==>Column Scripting

jaz1.PNGJaz2.PNGJaz3.PNG

Jim
Jaz
Jaz
Level IV

Thank you.