Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ClusterFerret68
Level III

Testing Parallelism: F-test vs. Chi-square vs. SRA in Potency Assays

Hello All,

I'm assessing different approaches for testing parallelism of 4PL fits in a potency assay.  I know some of the limitations/tradeoffs of the F-test/chi-square approaches.  One of our vendors is also using the Slope Ratio method for their testing.  Does anyone have thoughts about pros/cons of this approach and where it's appropriate to use?  Finally - has anyone implemented this in JMP?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

4 REPLIES 4
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Testing Parallelism: F-test vs. Chi-square vs. SRA in Potency Assays

Unless I mistake what you are asking, I think you will find that it is already implemented in JMP:

Test Parallelism (jmp.com)

-Dave
MRB3855
Super User

Hi @ClusterFerret68 : These kinds of questions come up on this forum from time to time. Here is one such thread.

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Parallelism-Testing-for-Groups-of-4PL-Curves/m-p/622085#M82...

ClusterFerret68
Level III

Indeed...I'm quite familiar with that thread....thanks.

My request was for input on the rationale/appropriateness for the different approaches.  I understand that momentum is moving towards equivalence testing...but many organizations still haven't adopted that and it is on the rest of us to offer more than "the current trend is..." etc., to help support transitions (e.g., in GMP environments with validated methods).

I understand that there's a lot to "unpack"...I'm asking for input from those willing to spend a little time doing the unpacking to help bring others along.

MRB3855
Super User

Hi @ClusterFerret68 : Here are a few things to consider (in no particular order).

1. Equivalence testing makes sense. i.e., an x% difference in slopes is of no practical relevance.

2. Traditional significance testing rewards small sample sample sizes (or a poor choice of levels of doses
and the distribution of subjects over the doses); the analyst can mistakenly default to claiming parallelism via not rejecting the null hypothesis of parallelism. While this kind of thinking is not correct (to put it kindly), this is what often happens in the real world of decision making. In this context, an underpowered study (via small sample size or a poor choice of levels of doses
and the distribution of subjects over the doses) has a better chance of "claiming parallelism".

3. Similar to 2 above, traditional significance testing rewards poor precision measurements; an underpowered study has a better chance of "claiming parallelism". In this context, an underpowered study (via poor precision) has a better chance of "claiming parallelism".

4. Traditional significance testing can be a big problem when the precision of the measurement is very good as well; a post hoc explanation of statistical significance may be required when the difference is of no practical importance.

While 1 above appeals to our sense of utility, numbers 2, 3, and 4  are enough, in my view, to abandon traditional significance testing wrt parallelism.