cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ElBurro777
Level I

Table variable slider affecting column formula incorrectly

Hi everyone,

I am putting together a demo table that is supposed to domenstrate how a statistical test changes as the mean and difference in means between two groups shifts. In this table, I have 4 table variables, two which represent the mean of a reference group (POR) and two that represent as shift from that mean. There are two formula columns thatare dependent on these variables, but each column only involves 2 of the 4 table variables. I made two scripts that create sliders for each pair of table variable, allowing the user to adjust them and watch how test results change in real time. I found some aberrant behavior with table variable sliders, in which adjusting one slider will affect the values in a column that does not reference that table variable. There are no obvious cross references in the slider script or formula columns, so I cannot determine why this is happening. Any help to unravel this mystery would be greatly appreciated.

The table is attached (JMP 16).

1 REPLY 1
jthi
Super User

Re: Table variable slider affecting column formula incorrectly

One reason could be, that you are using random functions in formulas and formulas get re-calculated/evaluated when there is "large enough" change in the datatable. Changing Table Variable seems to trigger that. Depending on what you want to do, you could remove formula, stop formula evaluation, use As Constant() and possible some other options too.

JMP also offers teaching scripts in Sample Data which might be helpful for some demonstrations:

jthi_0-1659426388542.png

-Jarmo