cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hogi
Level XI

Table Update: Transformed value

In the Tables/Update menu, the user has the possibility to define new formulas o the fly by right clicking into a columns menu and selecting the transformation of choice.

Somehow strange: the newly defined column is not added to the table (nor to the preview - see screenshot).

Could somebody reproduce he behavior - and suggest what I have to change in the menu such that the newly defined column gets added?

hogi_0-1674583033245.png

Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

tmp = Data Table( "Big Class" ) << Summary(
	Group( :name ),
	Freq( "None" ),
	Weight( "None" )
);

Data Table( "Big Class" ) << Update(
	With( tmp ),
	Match Columns( :name = :name ),
	Add Columns from Update Table(
		:N Rows,
		Transform Column(
			"1/N Rows",
			Format( "Fixed Dec", 12, 0 ),
			Formula( 1 / :N Rows )
		)
	)
);

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hogi
Level XI

Re: Table Update: Transformed value

OK, I informed Jmp support.
case:  TS-00032949

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I was able to duplicate this behavior. The column is not added, even if I right click in the platform dialog box and select "Add to Data Table." I have a feeling that the behavior we're seeing is not what's intended.

One workaround would be to add the transformed column before running the Update script.

hogi
Level XI

OK, I informed Jmp support.
case:  TS-00032949

hogi
Level XI

@Jed_Campbell thank you for the workaround. It also works directly in the update menu - via Right Click/Add to Data Table.

The only thing: Due to the table update when the column is added to the table, the column gets deselected in the list of selected columns.

After selecting "it" (non-italic version) again, it gets also added in the preview. (jmp 17).

same on your site?

But in general, this behavior differs significantly from the behavior of e.g. Summarize.

In Summarize I don't have to add Transform Columns to the table such that they can be used in the menu.

Let's see how it will look in jmp 18 ...

Yes, I'm seeing the same.

Let's see how it will look in jmp 18 ...