cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
MarkDayton
Level IV

Table Scripts and the Parent Data Table

I have a set of scripts that I copy to new data tables. To make sure that when I run the table script it acts on the data table it belongs to I have to edit all of the scripts to point to the right data table (dt = Data Table("this one")). Is there a generic way to reference the parent data table, similar to dt = Current Data Table(), but more like dt = Parent Data Table()?

table script.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
MarkDayton
Level IV

Re: Table Scripts and the Parent Data Table

I thought about that, and I may give it a try, but I've decided to just go with David's suggestion and run the scripts from the data table so the Current Table will be the one I want. If I run the script from the editor, I'll just have to be more careful. Question, when writing a script to create table scripts, can comments be included in the table scripts?
MarkDayton
Level IV

In answer to my own question no, comments are not included when using a script to add a script to a data table, the comments are stripped out just like they are when you copy scripts from one table to another (why anyone would think this was a desirable default behavior is beyond me, if I take the time to add comments to a script why would I want to throw them away anytime I go to use that script somewhere else).
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

OK I asumed you were just running it as a table script using the green triangle.

-Dave
MarkDayton
Level IV

Thanks David, appreciate the help.