Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hillel
Level I

TWO Y VAR with different visulisation in graph builder

hi all.

is there a way to visualised two different var at the y axes but each series  in a different way

for example one var with the "area" plot while the second with the "line" presentation (same X axes)

thank you vary much. ( in short to combine the two graphs  attached)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: TWO Y VAR with different visulisation in graph builder

You can do this by going to the configuration area in Graph Builder, for each of the types of displays you want and to change the "Variables" selection to indicate which of the variables you want to have for the specific type of display.  Below is a graph that has both Height and Weight specified for the Y Axis.  Both an Area and a Line display has been specified.  For the Line graph, only the X axis variable, Age and the Y axis variable, Weight are selected.  For the Area chart, only the Age and Height variables are selected.

area1.PNG

Jim

View solution in original post

SDF1
Super User

Hi @hillel ,

One possible option is to move one of the Y variables to the right side of the graph and then select the line graph style in Graph Builder (the left Y variable will be the line). I was able to get this to work with the Big Class data set, graphing weight vs age and height vs age -- weight as the fill to bottom area under curve and then height as a red line, I even wrapped it by "sex", so it's something like your data. I changed the axes so that it kind of separated the weight/height data, so it's easier to see.

I've attached a screen shot of what Graph builder looks like.

Snap3.png

This is one possible solution, but I'm sure there are others, and someone else is sure to have a better solution.

Hope this helps!,

DS

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

You can do this by going to the configuration area in Graph Builder, for each of the types of displays you want and to change the "Variables" selection to indicate which of the variables you want to have for the specific type of display.  Below is a graph that has both Height and Weight specified for the Y Axis.  Both an Area and a Line display has been specified.  For the Line graph, only the X axis variable, Age and the Y axis variable, Weight are selected.  For the Area chart, only the Age and Height variables are selected.

area1.PNG

Jim
SDF1
Super User

Hi @hillel ,

One possible option is to move one of the Y variables to the right side of the graph and then select the line graph style in Graph Builder (the left Y variable will be the line). I was able to get this to work with the Big Class data set, graphing weight vs age and height vs age -- weight as the fill to bottom area under curve and then height as a red line, I even wrapped it by "sex", so it's something like your data. I changed the axes so that it kind of separated the weight/height data, so it's easier to see.

I've attached a screen shot of what Graph builder looks like.

Snap3.png

This is one possible solution, but I'm sure there are others, and someone else is sure to have a better solution.

Hope this helps!,

DS