cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Stock data using JMP

Hi,

I'm trying to learn JMP and the scripting language and to give myself some homework. I thot it might be interesting to download some data. So I have chosen Yahoo finance stock data so I keep up with my stocks.

The first challenge is to get the data. I've found the following url that gives me what I want (the next step will be to iterate over a series of stocks that i am interested in - more later on that).

http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=YHOO&a=00&b=1&c=1871&d=11&e=31&f=2009&g=d&ignore=.csv

I'm guessing that the Open From Internet wont work as this file returned is a csv.

Is there a way to grab the CSV automatically from the HTTP response and convert that into a JMP data table?

thanks in advance!

-greg
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Stock data using JMP

Well you can open a CSV in JMP and it will create a Data Table. You can just use the Open command:

dt = Open(CSV File);

I want to avoid having to download each file separately through the web browser. I would like to automate the retrieval of the stock prices.

Can the Open function open a file with an HTTP:// interface versus having it be file based?

-greg

Yes open a new script, paste this command in it and then run it.

dt = open( "http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=YHOO&a=00&b=1&c=1871&d=11&e=31&f=2009&g=d&ignore=.csv" );

excellent! thank you.
afterword
Level IV

Hey - great trick! You could do quite a bit of portfolio analysis by opening and joining tables for any stocks you hold.

Now, if anyone can write me a script that chooses the stocks that are going to rise, let me know.

i'll JMP right on that! ;)