cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
kwmcm
Level III

Splitting columns that have multiple items

I have attached two simple data tables of something I'm sure JMP can do, but I'm not sure how. 

I have a much larger data table that has multiple columns with multiple names in them. 

In my Example Before, it's simple, two names in under Name column. 

What I'd like to do is split the two names, to make two lines- Example After. I highlighted the rows that were "updated"

I don't need to split anything else. 

Is this possible???

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Splitting columns that have multiple items

This could probably be done more efficiently with a script, but here is an interactive approach that will work regardless of the number of names in the Before table's Name column.

Highlight the Name column and choose Cols > Utilities > Text to Columns.

In the delimiter box type a comma "," and click OK. This will give you two new columns, Name 1 and Name 2.

Now Tables > Stack.  The Stack Columns are  Name 1 and Name 2. For convenience make the Stacked Data Column be called Final Name. Make sure the Non-stacked columns are set to Keep All, and click OK.

The resulting table will have some blank cells in the Final Name column. Right-click on one of those cells and select Select Matching Cells. Now go to Rows > Delete Rows. You can then get rid of the original Name column and Label column, if you wish.

Dan Obermiller
kwmcm
Level III

Re: Splitting columns that have multiple items

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for!