cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
acid1c
Level III

Simulate responses within defined range

I have been using the RANDBETWEEN(min,max) function in excel to generate random simulated responses which I paste into the matrix.

Rather than using the model coefficients to simulate the response variables, can JMP generate "random" numbers within a defined range? What is the drawback of using this method (asides from the obvious - the random values not fitting the model)?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
louv
Staff (Retired)

Re: Simulate responses within defined range

acid1c,

Will this do the trick for you?

9322_Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 7.02.31 PM.png

9317_Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 6.57.04 PM.png

9319_Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 6.56.47 PM.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
louv
Staff (Retired)

acid1c,

Will this do the trick for you?

9322_Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 7.02.31 PM.png

9317_Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 6.57.04 PM.png

9319_Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 6.56.47 PM.png

acid1c
Level III

Thank you for pointing me in this direction, but I found a better solution. Random Normal is generating numbers with a defined mean and standard deviation. A better choice is to use Random Uniform which generates numbers within a defined min and max range:

Right click on column > Formula > Random > Random Uniform > Random Uniform(min,max)

Random uniform does work well with a defined min and max, but it does not have a peaked shape like a normal distribution. If you want a peaked shape, use the Triangular distribution. It has a defined min and max with a mode or peak.

Dan Obermiller