cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
AaronNHorvitz
Level II

Set Probability Threshold / Confusion Matrix

The default probability threshold is set to 0.5.  That can make it difficult to compare models when one has higher specificity and lower sensitivity, but both have similar accuracies and positive predictive values.  How do we change the probability threshold to compare model performance?   

Thanks!

Aaron 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Set Probability Threshold / Confusion Matrix

Aaron,
It is unclear which platform you are working in. If you happen to have JMP Pro and are fitting models using generalized regression then one of my favorite JMP13 features is the ability to interactively change the probability threshold and watch my sensitivity and specificity estimates change. But I digress. To explore various cut-offs on a model I might save the model formula to my data table so that I can set up a column with the "model call" (use the formula: score> cut-off to get a column of 0s and 1s) and use that to evaluate model performance (thinking in the diagnostic model world). If you are in the logistic platform and have ROC curves for your models then the ROC Table will provide "2x2" tables for each possible cut-off in your data set. Finally there is an add-in in the file exchange that will calculate a series of performance measures and confidence intervals for diagnostic type models.

https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Add-Ins/Performance-Summary-for-Diagnostic-Tests/ta-p/22524

Hopefully something here is helpful to what you are trying to do.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Aaron,
It is unclear which platform you are working in. If you happen to have JMP Pro and are fitting models using generalized regression then one of my favorite JMP13 features is the ability to interactively change the probability threshold and watch my sensitivity and specificity estimates change. But I digress. To explore various cut-offs on a model I might save the model formula to my data table so that I can set up a column with the "model call" (use the formula: score> cut-off to get a column of 0s and 1s) and use that to evaluate model performance (thinking in the diagnostic model world). If you are in the logistic platform and have ROC curves for your models then the ROC Table will provide "2x2" tables for each possible cut-off in your data set. Finally there is an add-in in the file exchange that will calculate a series of performance measures and confidence intervals for diagnostic type models.

https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Add-Ins/Performance-Summary-for-Diagnostic-Tests/ta-p/22524

Hopefully something here is helpful to what you are trying to do.
AaronNHorvitz
Level II

Yes! Thank you!