cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
SoilSAS
Level I

Selecting Beta distribution for a Generalized Linear Model personality in JMP 12 or 13

I have many response variables (composition/abundance data) that have beta distributions and despite the fact that JMP 12.1.0 Help tells me "The Generalized Regression personality enables you to specify a variety of distributions for your response variables. The distributions fit include normal, Cauchy, exponential, gamma, Beta, binomial..." I can't select a Beta distribution when the GLM personality is slected. I only have 4 options I can choose from: normal, binomial, Piosson, and exponential. Does anyone know how to perform a GLM (mixed) for Beta distributed data in JMP 12? I also have a license for JMP 13 that I haven't yet installed and so if anyone know how to do that in 13, I would also be grateful. Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
SoilSAS
Level I

Re: Selecting Beta distribution for a Generalized Linear Model personality in JMP 12 or 13

Another question: If I define my response variables as having a Beta distribution (via column properties), then should I select "Normal" for distribution and then select a logit link function? (since Beta distributions should be run with a logit link function in GLMs)
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: Selecting Beta distribution for a Generalized Linear Model personality in JMP 12 or 13

I think you might be confusing the Generalized Regression subplatform with the Generalized Linear Model subplatform within the Fit Model personality dropdown menus. The beta distribution, as stated in the JMP documentation, is only supported in the Generalized Regression subplatform. Generalized Linear Model does not support that response functional form. And Generalized Regression is only supported in JMP Pro...your original post states only "JMP"...so you won't have access to the Generalized Regression subplatform if you are running JMP and not JMP Pro.

KB19
Level I

Hello

With JMP 13 am I able to run Proc Glmx with a Beta Distribution?

Thank you,

KB

@Peter_Bartell wrote:

I think you might be confusing the Generalized Regression subplatform with the Generalized Linear Model subplatform within the Fit Model personality dropdown menus. The beta distribution, as stated in the JMP documentation, is only supported in the Generalized Regression subplatform. Generalized Linear Model does not support that response functional form. And Generalized Regression is only supported in JMP Pro...your original post states only "JMP"...so you won't have access to the Generalized Regression subplatform if you are running JMP and not JMP Pro.