cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
matthewh
Level I

Select rows where column values match items in an arbitrary list

Hi,

I am trying to write some JSL code to select rows from a table where the value of a column matches some values, which are stored as a list. However, the list may have an arbitrary number of items in it.

I have tried the code at the bottom of the message (where b1 is the list containing my values to be selected, :Lot is the column to compare against and dt2 is the data table to be selected from) but that just selects the rows matching b1[last1]. I know I could produce a subset table for each value of b1[jj] and concatenate them afterwards, but that is messy and causes it's own problems later.

I also tried an Eval(Substitute(Expr( type structure but that didn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or am I going about this completely the wrong way?

Cheers,

Matthew.

For( jj = 1, jj <= last1, jj++,
dt2 << Select Where( :Lot == b1[jj] )
);
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Select Where

Hi,

Please advise my script:

Column Name : Vendor, Contains : ABC, DEF, GHI

1) Data Table( test ) << select where( :Vendor == ABC ) | (:Vendor == GHI)

2) Data Table( test ) << select where( :Vendor == ABC ) & (:Vendor == GHI)

Where I only get ABC not ABC & GHI.

Anyone can help I would like to get more than one vendor?

P.S:Please note Vendor, ABC, GHI in double quotation marks which can't show here.

Thanks!

Message was edited by: CLS

Hi, please advise my script:

1) Data Table( "test" ) << select where( :"Vendor" == "ABC" ) | (:"Vendor" == "GHI")
2) Data Table( "test" ) << select where( :"Vendor" == "ABC" ) & (:"Vendor" == "GHI")

Where I only get "ABC" not "ABC" & "GHI". Anyone can help to get more than one vendor?

Thanks!
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

If I understand you correctly you wish to select both rows containing "ABC" as well as rows containing "GHI"?

You can not use the "And" operator since a cell can not have two different values simultaneously.

Use "Or" like in 1) but put paranthes around the whole logical statement, e.g.

Data Table( test ) << select where( Or(:Vendor == "ABC" , :Vendor == "GHI"))
//which equals
Data Table( test ) << select where( :Vendor == "ABC" | :Vendor == "GHI")

MS, Thank you very much, it works!!!

hi, how the contain function apply to my case where I want all Vendor Name contains "A" and "H"? This is for the circumstances where the vendor name not specific, (ABC Sdn Bhd, ABC Pte, ABC Subsidiary, GHI Sdn. Bhd., GHI Pte).

dt<<select where(contains(ages, age));

Thanks!