cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ab0716
Level I

Select rows based on first character

Hi I have a column with a lot of numbers and some text. Below is a snipet of what my data looks like. I'm tring to hide and exclude all rows that aren't 7 digits long and don't start with 5 (i.e. I only want numbers like 5******).

ASKU
asku
NI

So far I know how to exclude all the rows that aren't 7 characters long, but I can't figure out how to select the rows that don't begin with 5 (e.g. 2536614).

dt<<select where(length(:column) != 7 );

dt<< hide and exclude (1);

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ab0716
Level I

Re: Select rows based on first character

For some reason that solution still left a few numbers that didn't fit my criteria, but when I split it up as two separate lines it works great! Thanks!

dt <<select where(left(:column, 1) != "5" );
dt <<select where(length(:column) != 7, current selection("extend") );

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

dt<<select where(length(:column) != 7 & left(:Column, 1) != "5");

Vince Faller - Predictum
ab0716
Level I

For some reason that solution still left a few numbers that didn't fit my criteria, but when I split it up as two separate lines it works great! Thanks!

dt <<select where(left(:column, 1) != "5" );
dt <<select where(length(:column) != 7, current selection("extend") );

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

If the lot number must be 7 numeric digits, what begins with 5, one more condition needsto be added.

dt = current data table();

dt<<select where(length(:Column 1) != 7 | left(:Column 1, 1) != "5" | IsMissing(num(:Column 1)));

Also, new column using a formula can find matches using Regex. Column 2 of the table displayed below, uses the formula

Regex( :Column 1, "(5\d{6}\b)", "\0" ). the selected rows are those selected by the Select Where() command above.

Note row 10, 5Z3661A, would not be selected without the additional criteria IsMissing(num(:Column 1)) 

image.png