cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
sophiaw
Level III

Scripting a JMP Journal

Hi,

I've looking everywhere, but I can't seem to find anything about scripting a Journal. I've been able to make a journal by hand, but I want to incorporate a Journal script with my current script. My current script does a lot of data analysis and saves all the graphs as PNG files, which I then drag and drop into the Journal.

I've tried to just append the window that the graph is in to the Journal, but it does not look right. I do not care if it is interactive, I just want to be able to script the same thing that I can do by dragging images into the Journal.

I'm not sure where to start. I want to also include Outline Items and Text Items between my images to denote what graph is what. I've tried to copy the script from the Journal to see how it's doing things, but it's just blank, or has stuff that doesn't make sense.

I would appreciate any help!

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Scripting a JMP Journal

To attach a picture you can use a Picture Box (in the online help look for PictBox under display boxes (not PictureBox) - not the picture box wants a reference to the file which is obtained with the Open function, and the option function must include the 2nd argument which is the file type e.g. "png" or "jpg".  Here is an example assuming you have a file "Picture1.png":

nw = New Window("Journal With Pic", <<Journal,

vlb = V List Box(

ob = Outline Box("Pictures")

)

);

ob << Append(

Picture Box( Open("Picture1.png","png"))

);

-Dave

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

From the Scripting Guide

Journals

It is relatively easy to put things into a journal window. It it more difficult to see how to

manipulate the journal itself. The following examples show some journal manipulations.

Suppose you start with a report, generated in this case from the Big Class.jmp data table.

biv=bivariate (y(weight), x(height));

rbiv=biv << report;

To journal the report results, use the journal window message.

rbiv<<journal window;

Unless you have to have a journal for some reason, you could always use a new window() to graph things the same way and just build your display boxes.

Or

If you use the combine selected windows checkbox (Bottom right) on the graphs you want, it can create an application that you can save the script from.

10020_pastedImage_1.png

Vince Faller - Predictum
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

To create a journal you create a new window with the <<Journal message.  From then on you can use standard scripting of display boxes to control content of the journal, for example:

10022_Picture1.png

dt = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.jmp");

// create a journal with an outline to contain the graph

nw = New Window("My Journal", <<Journal,

ob = Outline Box("My Graphs",

Text Box("<b>Histograms of weight & height</b>", <<Markup(1))

)

);

// create a graph

content = V List Box(

Text Box("This output below was produced using the distribution platform"),

Distribution(

Continuous Distribution( Column( :height ) ),

Continuous Distribution( Column( :weight ) ),

Histograms Only

);

);

// add graph to outline box within the journal

ob << Append(content);

-Dave
sophiaw
Level III

pmroz
Super User

With your second "journal = " statement, you're setting the journal variable equal to a new outline box, which has nothing to do with the original outline box.  You need to create a journal, and then start appending things to it.  This will work:

// Start a new journal to save all the output graphs

journal = New Window( "Class All Data", <<Journal,

vb = V List Box(

ob = Outline Box( "Leakage Data",

Text Box( "Distribution of all Leakage data", <<Bullet Point( 1 ) ),

)

)

);

new_ob = Outline Box( "Rterm Data",

Text Box( "Distribution of all Rterm data", <<Bullet Point( 1 ) )

);

vb << append( new_ob );

David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

To attach a picture you can use a Picture Box (in the online help look for PictBox under display boxes (not PictureBox) - not the picture box wants a reference to the file which is obtained with the Open function, and the option function must include the 2nd argument which is the file type e.g. "png" or "jpg".  Here is an example assuming you have a file "Picture1.png":

nw = New Window("Journal With Pic", <<Journal,

vlb = V List Box(

ob = Outline Box("Pictures")

)

);

ob << Append(

Picture Box( Open("Picture1.png","png"))

);

-Dave

Hi sophiaw,

Can you share the script you use to save multiple graphs as PNG files? I haven't been able to figure out how to save a graph as a PNG file using JSL.

Thanks for any help!

sophiaw
Level III

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed.

sophiaw
Level III

Thank you PMroz and David! That was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for all the help!